About The Strand
The Strand Theatre’s mission is to entertain, engage, and empower our community, in our theater and beyond our walls.
As a leader in our community’s cultural growth, the Strand’s vision is to expand perspectives and entertain with thought provoking, innovative arts programming and educational experiences. Through film, music, dance, theatre, lectures and community conversations, the Strand uses the power of the performing arts to connect us more deeply to one another by presenting stories that honor our differences and illuminate our commonalities.
Check out our 2023 Year In Review!
The Strand Theatre, located in downtown Rockland on the coast of Maine, has been entertaining audiences since 1923. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the theater underwent an extensive renovation in 2005, which included new sound and projection equipment, a fully restored interior and exterior, and a bright new marquee. (click here for a complete Strand History)
Today, the Strand Theatre is a multi-use venue offering the best of current first-run and independent films, live musical concerts and comedy, simulcasts, educational programs, conferences, and other special events on our stage and screen.
Our Screen programming includes a regular schedule of current first-release, independent, and documentary film titles as well as Metropolitan Opera simulcasts and special broadcasts from the National Theatre of London. On the Strand stage, our diverse year-round program of live music, comedy, performing arts, and other special events feature some of the finest established and emerging artists from around the globe.
LIVE and SPECIAL EVENT TICKET SALES
Online: BUY TICKETS
By Phone: 207-594-0070 (office hours are Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 2:30-4:30pm; we will return messages left outside of those hours)
Walk-up: Daily between 6:30 and 8:30pm, or during regularly scheduled showtimes. (Sorry, we do not offer walk up ticket sales at other times)
A $2.50 per ticket processing fee applies to phone and online orders.
DAY OF SHOW WALK-UP SALES and WILL CALL TICKET PICK UP:
The Box Office window opens 90 minutes prior to show-time. (Time may differ for rental events)
FILM TICKET SALES
The Box Office window opens 30 minutes before regularly scheduled films. Advance ticketing is not available for regular film screenings. Our large auditorium seats 345, so you can be assured that you’ll get a seat!
$9.00 / Adult General Admission
$8.00 / Seniors (65+), Children under 12, and Matinees
$7.00 / Strand Members
Buy A Gift Card
Strand Theatre Gift Cards make great gifts for any occasion!
We have two options:
VIRTUAL GIFT CARDS
Give the gift of the Strand instantly! A virtual gift card is sent to your recipient via email. The email will contain a unique gift card number. The gift card is redeemed by presenting the number to a Strand staff member at the theater. Please note this option can only be purchased online, and does NOT include a physical gift card — only an emailed card number.
Click HERE to buy your virtual gift card
PHYSICAL GIFT CARDS
A physical gift card is similar to a credit card in size — and looks great in any wallet! Recipients of a physical gift card can redeem their gift by presenting their card at the theater.
Physical gift cards are only available for purchase in person at the box office, when the theater is open for shows. Please call 207-594-0070 x3 if you need assistance with gift card purchases.
Click HERE to check a gift card balance
Thank you for giving the gift of the Strand!
Staff & Board
Jessie Davis: Executive Director
With a B.A. in Human Ecology from College of the Atlantic, a PC in Documentary Filmmaking from Rockport College, and certified as a Building Analyst through The Building Performance Institute, Jessie’s professional life has been as varied as her academic study. Joining the Strand team in the spring of 2014, Jessie was excited to return to the cultural arts fold, after a very full seven year stint as new mother AND energy efficiency engineer with Evergreen Home Performance.
Ellen Seidman: Board Chair
Ellen Seidman lives in Spruce Head and Portland. Following a long career in the federal government and with community development financial institutions, she is currently a Non-Resident Fellow at the Urban Institute, a Washington DC think tank. She is on the Board and Treasurer of Maine Initiatives and of Luminato Condominium Association, and after Board service at CEI, she is currently on the Policy Committee. She is also on the Board of the Financial Health Network. She enjoys cycling, gardening, and traveling—and is making a serious effort to learn Italian. Seidman is a graduate of Radcliffe College (AB), Georgetown Law Center (JD) and George Washington University (MBA).
RENTING THE STRAND
The Strand Theatre is suited to a wide variety of uses including concerts and other live performances, film screenings, conferences and business meetings, and private parties—subject to availability within our regular program schedule. The theater is outfitted with state-of-the-art projection and sound equipment, wireless connectivity, a full-service box-office, commercial kitchen, green room/dressing rooms, and many other conveniences. The theater comfortably seats 345 total people (92 in the balcony, 253 on the main floor). For more information, please contact us at [email protected] or (207) 701-5053.
Thank you for buying a ticket for a Strand Theatre event!
- The Strand sells online tickets only through RocklandStrand.com. The Strand will not be responsible for any ticket purchase made from any unauthorized resale agent or website, and under no circumstances will any ticket purchased from a non-Strand seller be refunded. Tickets purchased from any outside seller are entirely at the purchaser’s own risk.
- All sales are final. Sorry, no request for cancellations, changes or refunds can be accepted.
- The Strand does not resell unwanted tickets on the buyer’s behalf.
- If your tickets are to be “held at Will Call”, they will be at the venue box office at the time of performance. The box office is usually open no later than 60 minutes before curtain time. It would be helpful if you can arrive early to allow for parking and to avoid the last minute rush.
- You must have the credit card you used for the purchase with you for identification. If someone else is picking up the tickets, either that same credit card or a photocopy of it with an authorization note from you should be presented. It would also be helpful to have with you a copy of your order confirmation and the confirmation number.
- Refunds on tickets purchased are made for a canceled or postponed event only. Concerts and live events are not as a rule canceled or postponed due to inclement weather unless the performers themselves are unable to appear. When a ticket is refunded, only the cost of the ticket is refunded.
- In the event that a performance is either canceled or postponed, the Strand will make every effort to contact every patron via e-mail, time permitting.
Do you serve beer and wine?
Yes – beer and wine are available at all Strand shows unless announced otherwise. Patrons under 40 may be asked to display appropriate Government-issued proof of age. Please drink with consideration for the fact that you are in a performance space.
Can I buy advance movie tickets?
We do not offer advance sale for our regular films; however, advance tickets may be available for select SPECIAL FILM EVENTS, as advertised. Film tickets can only be purchased at the Strand Theatre walk-up Box Office window. (Sorry, movie tickets are not available by phone or online.)